As it becomes even more clear this week that President Trump is settling in at his new job, here are eleven facts about his new house:
1. The White House was designed by an Irish architect named James Hoban.
2. Until President Theodore Roosevelt officially named the building ‘The White House’ in 1901, it was known as ‘The President’s Palace’ or the ‘Executive Mansion’.
3. There are a variety of recreational facilities within the White House including a bowling lane, tennis court, cinema and running track.
4. It takes 570 gallons of paint to cover the outside surface of the White House.
5. George Washington never lived there.
6. On Inauguration Day, White House staff only have 12 hours to move in a new President’s belongings.
7. Slaves were used in its construction.
8. There is an exact replica in McLean, Virginia.
9.When Winston Churchill visited The White House, he claimed to have seen the ghost of Abraham Lincoln.
10. Its design is based on Leinster House, the seat of the Irish Parliament.
11. It receives almost 6,000 visitors each day.